Cleft Chestnut Post and Rail, sometimes called Sussex Rail is made from untreated Chestnut hardwood. The wood is cut during the winter when there is less sap in the wood, which increases the durability of the wood.
- PostSaver is not available for Cleft Chestnut Posts.
- Chestnut products are untreated.
- Sawn plates, mortised for 2 or 3 rails are used to attach cleft rails to square gate posts.
- Due to the traditional nature in which these are made, they are made to imperial measurements.
- Cleft intermediate and corner posts are basically half a tree trunk with the sides lightly trimmed and 2 or 3 pairs of mortises for the rails.